I love, I mean LOVE me some stir fry! Learning how to make good Asian food was a New Years resolution of mine several years ago. I love takeout but hate the greasiness (not to mention the price) so I spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of how to make yummy Asian food at home.
As of late I’ve been experimenting with how to ditch the soy sauce without sacrificing the flavor. So I jumped on the coconut aminos train. But to be honest I wasn’t immediately thrilled with the flavor. On it’s own, it’s a little too sweet for my taste. Especially when trying to sub it for that quintessential saltiness of soy sauce. What I came to realize is that for every one tablespoon of coconut aminos you need to add one teaspoon of fish sauce.
It works especially well in my three cup chicken. Try it for yourself and tell me what you think!
Three Cup Chicken
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp safflower oil or flavorless oil of your choice
- 1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots sliced on the diagonal
- 8 oz sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 c broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced on the diagonal
For the Sauce
- 1/4 c. Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 c. Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 c. Shaoshing Rice Wine or Dry Sherry To make this Whole 30 add chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot
- Cut chicken into 1/4 inch pieces and sprinkle with 1 tablespon of arrowroot. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Add half of the oil (1.5 tablespoons) to the wok or pan, heat over high heat until it starts to smoke
- Add the broccoli, asparagus, and carrot.
- Stir fry for 4 minutes then add 1 tbsp shaoshing rice wine. This helps cook the veg by steaming it.
- Allow the veg to cook for an additional 2 minutes and then remove from the wok and place in a bowl.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and heat until it begins to smoke. Add chicken.
- Cook without disturbing 3-4 minutes.
- combine the coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil, shaoshing rice wine, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and arrowroot. Add to the pan.
- Stir to combine. Cook for an additinal 4-6 minutes until the sauce begins to reduce.
- Add the carrot, asparagus, mushroom, and broccoli back to the wok.
- Stir Fry for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the scallions reserving some of the green ends for garnish.
- Serve over a bed of jasmine or cauliflower rice